Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Miracle of Birth

Some cartoons were just not meant to be completed. This is one that got, er, aborted...
Now, I'm not sure where the text for this particular mechanics problem came from, mainly because I never knew this cartoon existed (actually, I forgot I had even started drawing it). But I think somebody showed me this problem in a textbook at one time, and I just couldn't resist.

On the other hand, there was this cartoon...
Believe it or not, if you were watching TV in 1978, this commercial was actually on the air rather frequently, courtesy of Preparation H. Now, I have no idea how Madison Avenue works; the hamster wheels that turn in the heads of those who write television advertising are more mysterious than anything Rube Goldberg could have  imagined. But somehow this advertisement got written and actually broadcast on television. And now I know that hemorrhoids are a problem for women who've given birth (Thanks a lot for TMI!). A generation later, Madison Avenue has filled the evening news with ads about overactive bladder, Low T (er, they now are so bold as to refer to it as low testosterone) and Bob, the Enzyte Guy. These are things I never knew were medical problems that needed urgent attention; I always thought our biggest concern was toenail fungus. Fortunately, my medical insurance provides excellent coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment