Friday, January 7, 2011

What We Have Here is Failure to Communicate

As I mentioned in yesterday's posting, I had a brief relationship with the Stanford Daily - more of a one-night stand than a long-term romance.  It was never going to work out.  We were from two different backgrounds. They were a conventional student newspaper full of conventional students, and I was a bomb-throwing radical who happened to have been elected to the Stanford University student senate (I think I was the only graduate student who wanted the job).  I also happened to be on the staff of the Chaparral (Stanford's version of VooDoo, with considerably better financial backing), and the Daily and the Chaparral viewed each other with the kind of disdain that Stanford views the University of California at Berkeley.  The Daily's revenge was to drop my strip after a brief run, and my revenge was to assemble the ASSU Senate and beat the tar out of the Daily staff in a softball game.

To show you how bad things were, here are two versions of the same comic strip.  This one ran in thursday in March of 1978...
...and this version ran in the Daily almost a year later.
(The correct version, as I originally drew it, is the one on top)

No comments:

Post a Comment